You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
cbe
cbe's picture
a few 2016 Install questions?
SoftPlan Version:
2016 Plus

My 2016 package just arrived, and I was hoping for a little insight before I install it...

- How long did the install take for you? I've seen where some said their install took up to over 5 hours (other said 3 hours).

- Does your USB license key need to be plugged in during the install? I have 4 machines to install 2016. If each one takes 3-5 hours with the usb key plugged in, that is a lot of down time for me.

- Have you encountered any bugs that make you regret installing 2016? I upgraded to 2014 about a month or so after it was released and it was very buggy at the time. Those kinks were ironed out over a couple of months, but there were many times during that period I regretted upgrading so soon. I'm hoping to not make the same mistake again.

- How does the importing of old libraries & symbols work on this install? I (like everyone, I assume) have a lot of custom folders and openings. Will 2016 import only my 2014 library or will it add any new items from 2016 as well.  I can't remember how it worked from 2012 to 2014.

Thanks!

- Cory

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Install

How long did the install take for you?

I installed from a download so I'm sure mine took much longer than from the disk so I couldn't tell you how long it would take. Also I imagine install time varies from computer to computer depending on a variety of hardware factors.

Does your USB license key need to be plugged in during the install?

I have no idea. I've never removed my key since I built this computer a couple years ago. But even if you need the key to start the install I can't imagine that it would be required for the entire process, or even at all.

Have you encountered any bugs that make you regret installing 2016?

There are a few minor bugs present but nothing major. And there has already been a patch released that has taken care of some of them. I've been using 2016 for all my projects since day 1 of the final release and I wouldn't want to go back to 2014.

How does the importing of old libraries & symbols work on this install?

During the install you can choose to have all your settings, libraries, and projects automatically copied over to 2016 so the migration is seamless. Once the install is complete you are ready to start using 2016.

Bill is the owner and maintainer of SoftPlanTuts.com

cbe
cbe's picture
Thanks Bill !!

Thanks Bill !!

cbe
cbe's picture
After installing on 4 PCs, I

After installing on 4 PCs, I can answer my own questions now.  smiley

1) the install took less than 2 hours on each pc.  I was able to download the 1.2 GB 2016 install file once and place it on my NAS.  I begin to install each PC (about an hour if i recall correctly).  I am a Softplan+ subscriber so there were additional items to download once the main install was complete.  This took about an additional hour to download and install on each PC.  Kudos to Softplan to making the install file downloadable.  It would be a bit nicer if I could have downloaded the 'additional files' only once, but it's an improvement over the DVD in my opinion.

2) The USB license key does NOT need to be inserted into the PC during the install.  I did have it in 3 or the 4 PCs when I began the install.  The fourth install (my laptop) didn't have the key and 2016 still installed, but the additional items weren't downloaded after the main install.  I rarely use the laptop anymore so I haven't tested to see what I'm missing (if anything).

3) I haven't seen any bugs.  I did notice that export plan sets to PDF takes much longer than it did on 2014.  I tested this on 3 computers to make sure I wasn't seeing something wrong, but all three computers were longer to export on 2016 than on 2014.  I sometimes notice a little lag when moving/dragging items like text.  BUT overall, 2016 is a nice improvement and I'm glad I made the change.

4) I cleaned up my libraries, mainly openings & symbols, before I imported them in to 2016.  Softplan will install the default files and simply copy over your libraries.  In my case this made a lot of duplicates because I often rename folders from the SP defaults.  I'll have to go back and cleanup the files, but the extra symbols and opening make it worth.

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Export to PDF

Yes, exporting plan sets can take longer. I have one page in each set, my cabinet page, that takes forever to export. This has been reported to SoftPlan and hopefully they can get this cleared up soon.