custom cabinet face symbols in v2012

You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Michael Stayman
Michael Stayman's picture
custom cabinet face symbols in v2012

I would like to create a custom cabinet face which is basically a 1 door base cabinet, but rather than have the hardware located in the top corner of the panel, I would like the hardware in the top-center to illustrate a pull-out trash can cabinet (see attached images).  I've done this in previous versions of Softplan, but I'm having trouble doing this in v2012.

The problem that I'm having is that after the Cabinet Face symbol is created, it's not available for selection when I draw the plan view base cabinet.

It seems that there's a missing link between the Cabinet Face symbol and the Cabinet Face Config symbol.

How can I create custom cabinet faces and have them available for drawing in plan view?

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Custom Cabinet Face

From your images I see a couple of problems.

1. You are defining the face type as a door. Wouldn't this be a drawer?
  2. You have placed your custom configuration in Square Flat Panel/by Mike. But you are making your selection from Square Flat Panel. Try selecting the by Mike subfolder. If SoftPlan will not allow you to use a subfolder you may need to move the by Mike folder to be at the same level as the other folders.

Let me know if this takes care of the problem. If not then I'll look further.

Bill is the owner and maintainer of SoftPlanTuts.com

Michael Stayman
custom cabinet face

Thanks for your thoughts Bill.  Actually though, all of that is immaterial.  I found out from Softplan Tech Support that door and drawer names must be exact as they are hard-coded.  In previous versions, I don't believe this mattered because I had done it before with my own custom name.  When Cabinet Face Configurations were added as a feature, it seems that this now matters.  Here's the procedure given by Tech Support; it works:

"To create your own cabinet faces you would first need to create a new library under cabinet face style. Each of the libraries here have specific door names. You will need to use these door names for your door names as they are hard coded.

To create the cabinet face please try to do the following:

1. Go to Draw>Cabinet>Elevation View, choose the style of the cabinet you would like.

2. Add the cabinet elevation to the plan and then explode it.

3. Remove the toe kick and counter so that you are left with only the door.

4. Move the location for the handle to the location that you want. And then edit it and set the direction to left or right so that the handle will be horizontal instead of vertical.

5. Go to File>System Options>System Library.

6. Change to the Cabinet Face Style library and highlight your new library 7. Click the option for one step in the center and draw an expanding box around your new cabinet face.

8. Name the face '1 door' and then check the option for link to 3D. click on the library option for the 3D models and find the cabinet face library that you would like to link to this cabinet face.

9. After you have found it click ok on all the windows and the go back to the drawing.

10. Go to Draw>Cabinet>Plan View>Base, choose then new library, choose the 1 door option and draw it on the plan. The handle should be centered in the cabinet and you can adjust the size of the cabinet as you would need."

It seems that the link between Cabinet Face Symbols and Cabinet Face Configs is the "Layout" option under System Options-->System Library-->Cabinet Face Config-->[config name]-->[symbol].  One can see here the hard-coded choices that give the user no other options except those on the list.

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Custom Cabinet Face

Thanks for the info Michael. I hadn't tried to do any custom cabinet faces in 2012 so I wasn't aware that the names had been hard-coded. Hopefully the information you provided will help someone else if they come across the same problem.

Michael Stayman
thank you

Bill, thank you for a great web site.  I'm glad I can share what I found out so as you said, maybe it will benefit someone else.  A colleague of mine in AIBD introduced me to your site and I've been spreading the word to others that I know, as well.

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Thanks!

Thanks Michael. The more people who get involved the more information we can all share.