Softplan 2016 won't Open after installing Softplan 2108
SoftPlan Version:

Softplan 2016 won't Open after installing Softplan 2108

Thanks

Rick

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Overwrite?

Did you overwrite 2016 when installing 2018 or did you install 2018 in a new folder? How are you trying to open 2016? By clicking on a drawing or project file or by clicking on the shortcut to start the program?

Bill is the owner and maintainer of SoftPlanTuts.com

rrubinski
rrubinski's picture
Overwrite

It installed it in a folder with the date in the folder name. I used the option to use my settings from 2016.

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Starting

How are you attempting to start 2016?

rrubinski
rrubinski's picture
Starting

I clicked on my 2016 icon and it opened 2018, then I went to 2016 folder and all of the exe files where missing. I went to properties on the 2016 icon and restored it to the previous version, it opened 2016 then I tried to open 2018 again and I got an error message, I wish I would have took a screen shot of it. So I'm in the process of uninstalling 2016 and 2018 and reinstalling 2016 as I'm typing this message. How should I install 2018 after I get 2016 installed like it was?

Thanks

Rick

rrubinski
rrubinski's picture
Starting

I backed up 2016 before I uninstalled it, I hope the backup isn't messed up.

Thanks

Rick

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Uninstalling

If you are already uninstalling it is too late for a simple solution. When reinstalling accept the defaults and don't monkey with the folder names after it is installed.

rrubinski
rrubinski's picture
Unistalling

I know not to rename the folders after it is created, I created a new folder called Softplan2016 before I started the installation. It was like the 2018 installation was linked to the 2016 and 2018 folder.

rrubinski
rrubinski's picture
Overwrite

When I installed 2016 it created a folder Softplan, when I installed 2018 it named it Softplan 5-09-2017. I removed 2018 and 2016 and I created a folder for 2016 (SoftPlan2106) will that cause a problem? I am going to do the same with 2018 with a folder named(Softplan2018). Its a mess having to install both of them again.

Thanks

Rick

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Folders

When you renamed your 2016 folder you broke the link in the startup shortcut. You will need to recreate a 2016 shortcut or edit the existing one and change the path to softplan.exe to match the current location. As a general rule, changing folder names of programs after they have been installed is a very bad idea. You end up with orphaned links and registry entries. If I were you I would rename the folders back to what they were originally and leave it that way. Otherwise you may have tons of problems, as you are already beginning to discover.

rrubinski
rrubinski's picture
Folders

I renamed it when I started to reinstall 2016 again, after I uninstalled both 2016 and 2018.

rrubinski
rrubinski's picture
Folders

Bill, I clicked on copy my Softplan 2106 configuration. I think this is where both folders got linked together.

rrubinski
rrubinski's picture
Folders

Bill it works great after I reinstall 2016 and 2108. I don't know what happened the first time.

Thanks

for all of your help

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Great!

I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out laugh

rrubinski
rrubinski's picture
Great!

This is the folder Softplan 2018 created for my initial installation that caused my problem. When I tried to open 2016 it opened 2108. I looked at the properties for the 2106 icon and it was pointed to 2018, then I tried to change the location back to 2016 folder and all of the exe. files where gone. I don't understand what happened , but all is good now.

The attachment was the folder created by Softplan 2018 on my initial installation.

Thanks again Bill