SoftPlan 2014 New Features

You are here

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
SoftPlan 2014 New Features

SoftPlan is starting to release a listing of all the new features for 2014. You can find them by following this link. SoftPlan 2014 New Features. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about this new release and check back often as the list will be growing over time.

Bill is the owner and maintainer of SoftPlanTuts.com

cbe
cbe's picture
Thanks for link.  Some very

Thanks for link.  Some very cool features

- Cory

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Sloped Concrete

2014 allows you to create sloped concrete for items such as garage floors and porches.

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
3D View while editing

When you edit items you can view them in 3D and rotate them around to any angle to see how the object will look after you finish your edits. You can also view symbols in 3D and rotate them around to see what they will look like before you place them.

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Shadows

Shadows look much nicer in 2014

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Quoins and Corner Boards

Walls can be defined to have both Quoins and Corner Boards for cases where you have a wall that is part brick and part siding.

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Bottom of Wall to Top of Window

Windows can now be set to measure from the Bottom of the wall instead of the top. This gives you the ability to have consistently placed openings when you have walls of varying heights without having to edit the windows.

farwood
farwood's picture
3d

The shadows being better is great, I'm thinking with the 64 bit and other changes the 3d will be faster and more efficient.   I think just faster on the Softplan side will be great.  I have a real nice graphics card and feel softplan has been what keeps it from being major. Could be wrong.         My quardro 4000 card has setting that I don't get. but seems you can make the setting to work better with softplan??

I think the softplan people are great and smart.   I see a lot of changes that people have suggested on the splash site, that are great ideas, that they have put in place.    The auto deminsion now might make sense with the align extension and also you can turn on and off the window or interior wall extensions.   One of my suggestions was to be able to make separate interior and exterior opening schedules, to deal with when they are ordered.       

I keep hearing people post that the render mode doesn't use the graphics card,  But seems to me it does?   Will see how this 2014 improves 3d.  Maybe the photon will make sense, and the limitted shadow and soft shadow buttoms will work.

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
3D

In previous versions Rendering mode was handled by the CPU. So the faster your computer the faster you could generate renderings. And the other modes such as Textured, Shaded, etc. were handled by the graphics card so the better your graphics card the better results you get in those modes.

2014 takes a hybred approach that utilizes the strengths of both the CPU and the graphics card together. I don't know all the techie details of how that works but supposedly it is a much better approach.

64 bit only makes a speed difference if you are reaching the limits of the amount of memory that can be addressed by a 32 bit operating system. The point of operating systems and programs going 64 bit is that they can address much more memory than a 32 bit system and thus they can run faster because they are not having to move things to and from the hard drive. It's kind of like me. I've reached the limits of the amount of information that my brain can hold so I have to write things down and then forget them before I can add more information. If only I could trade in my 2 bit brain for a 64 bit one....

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Sline Electrical Connections

Spline Electrical Connections make it easier to get around corners when making connections.

farwood
farwood's picture
Strip tease

This unveiling is sorta like a strip tease,  A little each day.   Cool tho,   never had so much fun with something I make a living with,              The crown on the cabinets and ability to do full back splash above counter tops is nice.

Draftech
Draftech's picture
yes, and we keep waiting to

yes, and we keep waiting to see the really good stuff! :) I cant wait to see that money making update/change, like when 2012v went to "projects", our speed increased 30%.

farwood
farwood's picture
Speedy gonzales

That's really true,  2012  made navigating in softplan so much faster and in my case made me learn faster.   the window1   with having a 3d up as you draw, makes being creative so easy.      This is perfect timing for me and 2014, as I'm in the learning mode.          Just got a new computer, so everything is snappy.   And 2012 and i'm sure 2014 are snappy too.     I'm looking forward to getting 2014 set and learned on my new machine and be set to go at it in the 2 coming years.    These will be very competitive years ahead for sure.           will need an edge

david ayers
david ayers's picture
      Well that didn't take

Well that didn't take long. For a new upgrade. I didn't see a release date. Or pricing. Seems to make upgrading from v14 to 2012 about pointless now. Unless one has a LOT of work to get out between now and then. Whenever then is.

David Ayers