Openings in 2016

You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
yvongonthier
yvongonthier's picture
Openings in 2016
SoftPlan Version:

I've been sending the following problems to TS for the last couple of versions but no solutions up to 2014. Any of these issues been addressed in 2016?.

1. Doing a mirror image doesn't reverse window openings and combined units
  2. Doing a reverse doesn't reverse combined openings
  3. Exterior trim for garage doors should stop at top of foundation wall and not the base of the door (or have the option)

Thanks for the feedback.

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Reverse

Reversing a plan with combined openings actually should NOT reverse the openings. The openings are defined to be a specific configuration. For instance door on the left and sidelite on the right. Reversing the plan does not change that definition. The definition for the opening still specifies that the door is on the left and the sidelite is on the right. If you want to reverse the opening you need to have one version defined as sidelite on the left and another with sidelite on the right and you would change the opening after reversing. In situations where I have non-symetrical openings in a plan that could be reversed later, such as a standard plan that is used over and over, I place a No Print note next to the opening as a reminder to reverse the opening if the plan is reversed.

Maybe they do things differently in Canada but I have never seen a garage door where the exterior trim didn't go all the way down to cover the entire 2x frame. But to answer your question there isn't a way to stop the trim from going all the way down in 2016.

Bill is the owner and maintainer of SoftPlanTuts.com

yvongonthier
yvongonthier's picture
Exterior trim

Thanks Bill.

By exterior trim, I meant in the case of brick or stone veneer. When you have cast or brick detail going down on each side of the garage door, at least here it stops at the top of the foundation wall.

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Trim

Oh yeah. That makes sense. When you said "trim" my mind just went to wood trim.