Hay Wood on 8/12 pitch barn roof

You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
nels peterson
nels peterson's picture
Hay Wood on 8/12 pitch barn roof
SoftPlan Version:

I cannot discover how to draw a "hay wood" projection at the peak of the gable ends of a barn style home.  I've drawn in four hidden beams to display the hay wood projection hoping they would help build the simple 8/12 roof with roof manual trace mode.  I've tried several methods with no luck.  Any suggestions?

AttachmentSize
PDF icon hay wood projection.pdf1.42 KB
Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Hay Wood Projection

I've never heard of a "hay wood" projection. I tried Googling it and Google just said "huh?"

But from what you provided it appears that you could just extend the gable roof way out and then use Trace Hole to cut the shape out of the gable end of the roof.  I would start by drawing some lines the shape you want the roof to be. Then in Roof Mode make shapes visible. Extend the gable out past the point you want the gable to form. Then Trace Hole cut out everything outside the lines.

Bill is the owner and maintainer of SoftPlanTuts.com

nels peterson
nels peterson's picture
Thanks Bill.  I did not know

Thanks Bill.  I did not know the term Hay Wood either until I did find it after googling definitions for barn details.  It's the projection on the gable end that the track and pulley mechanism mount to.  The hay wood also protects the track and pulley from the weather.  

I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks,

Nels

nels peterson
nels peterson's picture
After drawing lines to mark

After drawing lines to mark the hay wood, and extending the gable overhang, I cut out the roof from the hay wood projection downward to the eave.  Cutting the hole worked fine but in the 3d model it looked pretty bad.  Check out the attachment.

AttachmentSize
PDF icon hay wood.pdf2.72 KB
Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Roof Cuts

It looks to me like you didn't do a good job of cutting out the roof. You need to cut out EVERYTHING outside of the shape that you want the gable to be, preferably using a single Trace Hole polygon.

nels peterson
nels peterson's picture
Thanks again Bill.  I did

Thanks again Bill.  I did exactly what you suggested, cutting out everything, and it worked great.

Thanks again.

Nels