2014 New Features

You are here

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
2014 New Features

A few of the new features in 2014 (subject to change in final release)

Plan Sets

• Automated assemble of Drawing Sets - sort of a magic multi-drawing
  • Groups of sheets can be added
  • Select sheets from standard page sizes
  • Watermarks can be added automatically
  • Page Numbers can be automatically assigned including prefixes or in the case of a cover sheet excluded.
  • Page Numbers automatically re-number as pages are moved up and down in the plan set.
  • Automatically Scale
  • Align tool added
  • Automatically sized title blocks
  • Drag and drop drawing assembly
  • PDF Export
  • Groups of sheets can be added
  • Select sheets from standard page sizes
  • "Live" 3D images can be added
  • Rendered elevations, sections and interior elevations can be added.

64 bit Architecture

2014 is now a 64 bit program which gives access to much more memory.

Live Symbols Preview

When selecting or editing symbols you can rotate and view the symbols in a 3D window

Bill is the owner and maintainer of SoftPlanTuts.com

farwood
farwood's picture
My first post

Hi,  just found this site,     I'm pretty excited about softplan 2014.    Just got a new precision with a quadro 4000 graphics card.  This is doing really fast 3ds with 2012.       I'm thinking 2014 with the 64 bit will go much better.    I'm already sending my potential customers nice 3d views of the inside and out, that look really nice.   2014 will add to this.       

Draftech
Draftech's picture
very cool! cant wait. How did

very cool! cant wait. How did you get this early info??

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
I have 2014. If anyone wants

I have 2014. If anyone wants to ask specific questions about specific features I'd be happy to talk about them. But there are just too many new features for me to write them all out. Also, anything that is in the current version is still subject to change in the final release.

jimcrook@live.com
jimcrook@live.com's picture
2014 Decks

Hi Bill, do you know if they upgraded the standard deck railings or did any upgrading to decks in general ?

JimC

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
214 Decks

Chages for decks:

• Deck Board Overhangs
  • Parting Board Deck Edge
  • Posts automatically Adjust Height to Fit Beam when drawn under a deck
  • Ring Joist Count option added
  • Sister Deck Joist command added
  • Skirting command added
  • Walls automatically offset to the top of a deck

I don't see any specific changes to railings. Was there something you were having difficulty with on railings?

Mike Landry
Mike Landry's picture
Can you explain what the

Can you explain what the skirting command does?

Thanks,

Mike

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Skirting

Skirting adds a skirt to the deck. You can change the way the skirt looks by changing the texture applied to it.

mpacey
mpacey's picture
Rendered Elevations

Hi Bill.

Can you give us a brief overview of the "rendered" elevations & interior views. This is something I have been looking forward to for quite a while

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Rendered Elevations

Plan sets can contain "Live" 3D items such as Exterior Elevations and Interior Elevations. These elevations are not images that are saved out and then imported into a drawing. If you make a change to your drawing you can then regenerate the Elevations and they will reflect the changes. These elevations can be of any of the 3D formats such as Wire Frame, Visible Line, Shaded, Textured, Rendered, etc.

Examples: The first image is an Interior Elevation using Visible Line mode. The second image uses a combination of Rendered Mode in the top and Shaded Mode in the bottom.

mpacey
mpacey's picture
elevation lines

Can we still get the automatic dimensionable elevation lines at each floor & top of wall level on elevations?

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Elevation lines

No, the "live" 3D elevation modes are primarily for illustration purposes. So, for instance, you can show a client what a cross section or elevation of a house would look like while you are designing the house. During the design process you don't need to do all the noting and detailing, you just need to convey to your client what the finished house would look like. For construction documents you would still use the traditional approach of saving out the elevations and cross sections and then detailing them out just as in previous versions.

Mike Landry
Mike Landry's picture
I like that visible line

I like that visible line elevation, what pen settings do you use to get the darker outlines?

Bill Wimberley
Bill Wimberley's picture
Visible Line

Mike, the darker outlines are a result of "Display Silhouette" being automatically checked in the Visible Line mode settings when creating the interior elevations. Pen settings have no effect. If you want thinner more well defined lines you can uncheck Display Silhouette.