Upgrade to 2014???

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
sratcliff
sratcliff's picture
Upgrade to 2014???
SoftPlan Version:

Currently we have 2012, but do not use it due to the fact that our main designer has used ACAD for 20 years and had trouble with the learning curve of Softplan.  I am the estimator here, but have also been learning how to design, so our plan is to jump into Softplan and utilize its estimating capabilities to help stream line some of our processes.  Are there any major things about 2014 that any one can vouch for that are a must have, or for some one who has not learned Softplan yet would really be missing out on?  Any experience with softlist, is the updated version better than 2012?  Part of our hesitation is the complexity of softlist, and not being able to get it to recognize the way we build.  Every house we build is about 80% custom.  So there is no cookie cutter formula for us.  Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

GPURS
GPURS's picture
I am always amazed at this

I am always amazed at this question. I purchased Softplan 20 years ago because  saw a way to do takeoffs easier and more accurately than the old spread sheet way. I am currently using 2012 and about to upgrade. My question to you is when you started doing takeoffs the way you are now did it work perfectly the first time, did you have to make changes? There is no foolproof way to bid a custom home other than practice,practice,make changes,practice more. Softlist works great for me and I make changes on every estimate I do because every house is different. I also do a lot of high end remodel so that throws another kink into the estimating. In my opinion there is not a house that softlist can't figure as accurately as the way you are doing it now and faster as long as you are patient enough to do the work.

sratcliff
sratcliff's picture
GPURS,

GPURS,

Thanks for the response.  My question was not in the soft wares abilities.  I am well aware of how capable and powerful SoftPlan is.  I was asking if any one with 2014 had input over 2012.  And how difficult it is to get softlist to report the way you want (fomulas, etc...), and if the 2014 version was that much better.  We have had 2012 for some time, but the transition from ACAD failed, that was before I came no board with the company.  So as I am heading this thing now, I was looking for useful feedback before we decided to make an upgrade from something we haven't even really used yet.  That being said, we decided to go ahead with a SoftPlan plus subscription.  Just got the new software and books this morning.