Craig Morris of Martineau & Morris Contracting writes:
Does Soft plan 2012 have the capability of calculation cut and fill quantities based on existing grades vs final grade?
If so how is this set up?
From what I can tell, the answer would be no. SoftPlan does calculate volume for a site but it does not take into account surfaces. It merely multiplies the square footage of the site by the depth that you assign to the site. The modified surface, as defined by grade points, are not taken into account.
However, all is not lost. If you have Sketchup then you can use Sketchup to calculate the volumes. I'm using Sketchup Pro so I can't verify whether or not this works with the free version.
Basically, what you can do is to create your site in SoftPlan and export to Sketchup to do the volume calculations. Sketchup does calculate the volume of a closed 3D model that has been converted to a Component.
The basic steps are as follows:
- Draw your Site plan in SoftPlan Site Mode.
- Edit the site and give it a depth, say 12" to make it easy.
- Make a copy of the site off to the side.
- Enter your existing shot lines on one copy and your proposed grade on the other.
- Open a 3D view of the site, for instance Textured.
- Export to DWG, or if you have Sketchup Free then use 3DS since Sketchup Free will not import DWG.
- In Sketchup import the site, making sure that the Import Options are set to Inches.
- Make each version of the site into a component.
- Right click each component and select Entity Info.
- Entity Info will display the volume of the component.
- Subtract the smaller volume from the larger to get the difference.
If anybody has a better method please add a comment below.
Bill is the owner and maintainer of SoftPlanTuts.com